By David Krasner
- Balances attention of canonical fabric with dialogue of works via formerly marginalized playwrights
- Includes stories of best dramatists, similar to Tennessee Williams, Arthur Miller, Eugene O'Neill and Gertrude Stein
- Allows readers to make new hyperlinks among specific performs and playwrights
- Examines the activities that framed the century, reminiscent of the Harlem Renaissance, lesbian and homosexual drama, and the solo performances of the Nineteen Eighties and 1990s
- Situates American drama inside of greater discussions approximately American principles and culture
Read or Download A Companion to Twentieth-Century American Drama (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar united states drama & plays books
Fourteen-year-old Annie Spring is radiant with lifestyles. As she fees via her adolescents in the course of the chaotic Nineteen Seventies, she is overjoyed to have discovered real love with Dan, a highschool sophomore. yet her global alterations eternally while she without notice discovers she is pregnant—an unacceptable consequence for a tender, unwed lady.
From The Persians"Defeat is impossibleDefeat is unthinkableWe have continuously been the favorites of destiny. Fortune has cupped usIn her golden fingers. It has in simple terms been a matterOf identifying our wish. Which fruitTo choose from the nodding tree. "This chilling passage is from Ellen McLaughlin’s new model of The Persians via Aeschylus, the earliest surviving play in Western literature, an elegy for a fallen civi-lization and a caution to its new conqueror.
The 1st ever scene and monologue booklet written for lesbian actors! Over thirty-two monologues and over sixty scenes from twenty of Gage’s hottest performs. . a number of the roles are written particularly for African American, Hispanic, Latina, and Anglo actors, yet such a lot will not be particular for race or ethnicity.
A motor-mouthed university of spoken note and storytelling. stories of paranoia, younger love and ultra-violence… from the table of christopher brett bailey comes a spiraling odyssey of pitch-black humour and nightmarish prose. this can be HOW WE DIE is a primary slice of surrealist trash, an Americana loss of life journey and a dizzying exorcism for an international confident it really is dying…
- Five Plays by the TEAM
- Flickering Empire: How Chicago Invented the U.S. Film Industry
- Fox Hole, Sleep Heart, I'm Not Gay!
- North of the Grove
- Don't Smoke in Bed
- Script Culture and the American Screenplay (Contemporary Approaches to Film and Media Series)
Additional info for A Companion to Twentieth-Century American Drama (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to Twentieth-Century American Drama (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by David Krasner